Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tarmas' Blog - Ladies Day!

So, Spring is in the air and the ladies are on my mind! It seems that our clients are thinking the same thing, with more females moving this week than in the rest of the year put together! My beautiful black Macarena has found her new mummy along with others - I will miss her so much!



With several mares going off to stud in the next few weeks and two mares staying at home to foal shortly, we decided that it was time to start getting them spruced up after a very long winter!



After nearly being mobbed in the field (as always!), we decided our first victim would be the lovely Magdalena and brought her up to the stables for some tlc and a bit of a trim and tidy!

Lynette, who has been working with us for just a few months now was astounded at how this two year old filly, who has hardly been handled and never been on her own in her life, let us take her away from all of her friends (who were not at all happy that she was going to the salon before anyone else!!) without a sound. She then walked about half a mile down the road, past cars, cyclists, joggers and did not put a foot out of place until a very scarey little Welsh stallion who was hiding in the hedge until she was right next to him ran off like a lunatic bucking and kicking (I hope he didnt think she was for him!!!).

However, even at this, she merely showed us half a dozen very impressive passage steps and then proceeded to walk the rest of the way home and into her stable (where, I have to add, she looked like she had been all of her life!).

Today, she looked very happy with herself, munching contendly on her hay and looking enviously at her neighbours' lovely stable rug! She will be bathed, trimmed and tidied tomorrow ready to return in her glory to her field companions from whom we will select the next "victim". However, I am concerned that she wont want to go back!!

All this talk is making me think of a lovely Spa weekend for myself, I really need some pampering and beautifying!

I feel this is hihgly unlikely however - so maybe I'll just have to get Sharron to get the hose and the clippers out.........

No comments: